Finding the right accessories for exercise and play is critical for keeping your guinea pig healthy.
When people refer to “guinea pig balls” they sometimes refer to exercise balls and sometimes refer to balls for play.
Balls for play are great for guinea pigs, but putting a guinea pig in an exercise ball can be dangerous.
The backs of guinea pigs do not safely bend backward. As such, guinea pig exercise balls can lead to this unnatural position and cause severe pain or even spinal injury in your pet.
Many pet stores have stopped selling guinea pig balls. So instead of buying them, you should consider some alternative toys.
Nevertheless, providing your guinea pig with exercise toys is a great way to keep them active and healthy.
Several toys are available, such as balls, tunnels, and hideouts. Each has its unique advantages and disadvantages.
Our top pick here is the Timothy Grass Guinea Pig Play Chew Ball by Hamiled:
This is our top pick overall, but there are a lot more considerations when it comes to selecting toys and balls for your guinea pig. In this article, we’ll run through key concerns and things to look for as you evaluate guinea pig toys, will point to some guinea pig balls and toys to avoid, and we’ve also selected our top picks for some specific categories.
The 4 Best Balls for Guinea Pigs
- Best Overall Play & Chew Ball – Timothy Grass Guinea Pig Play Chew Ball by Hamiled
- Best Budget Play & Chew Ball – Crush Proof Play Pit Balls
- Best Overall Exercise Ball Alternative – Gratpaw small animal guinea pig playpen
- Best Budget Exercise Ball Alternative – Ware Manufacturing Fun Tunnels Play Tube
In This Article
Buying Guide: Find the Right Balls for Your Guinea
When it comes to finding the right ball for your guinea pig, there are a few key factors to consider. In this buying guide, we’ll take a look at some of the chemicals and materials to avoid, health and choking hazards, whether color matters and the benefits of a good ball for your furry friend.
Chemicals & Materials
First, let’s talk about chemicals and materials. Some materials, such as plastic, can contain harmful chemicals that can be toxic to guinea pigs. Additionally, some balls may have coatings or finishes that can be dangerous if ingested. It’s important to avoid balls made from these materials and look for ones made from safe, natural materials such as untreated wood or organic cotton.
Health & Choking Hazards
Next, let’s consider health and choking hazards. Guinea pigs, like any other pet, can be prone to choking if they accidentally swallow small parts or pieces of their toys. It’s important to choose a ball that is the appropriate size for your guinea pig and doesn’t have any small parts that they could accidentally swallow.
But what about color? Does it matter what color ball you choose for your guinea pig? The short answer is no, guinea pigs do not have color vision and are unable to see the full range of colors that humans can. So, when it comes to choosing a ball for your guinea pig, the color is really a matter of personal preference.
Benefits of Play & Chew Balls
Finally, let’s talk about the benefits of a good ball for guinea pigs. A ball can provide your guinea pig with a fun and stimulating way to exercise and play. This can help them stay healthy and happy, and can even prevent boredom and boredom-related behaviors such as chewing on cage bars. In addition, a ball can provide your guinea pig with a sense of security and a place to hide, which can help them feel more comfortable and relaxed in their environment.
When it comes to choosing the right ball for your guinea pig, it’s important to consider the materials and chemicals used, the potential for choking and other health hazards, and the benefits that a good ball can provide. By following these guidelines, you can help ensure that your guinea pig has a fun and safe way to play and exercise.
Best Alternatives to Exercise Balls
Whether you’re looking for a small pet toy for your guinea pig, the Ware Manufacturing Fun Tunnels Play Tube is perfect.
This toy is safe for your pet, and it is also easy to clean. This play tube comes in various sizes and colors and can be used in many positions. It is also a great way to get your pet exercising.
Besides promoting exercise, the Ware Fun Tunnels Play Tube for Small Pets can be a great hideaway. This product’s flexible design makes it ideal for guinea pigs and other small animals.
It also features an accordion design, allowing your pet to explore many shapes.
- The accordion design offers flexibility
- Easy to clean and store
- Durable stain-resistant plastic
- Some customer claim that the plastic is weak
Guinea Pig Platform with Climbing Ladder by ROZKITCH
Introducing a guinea pig platform with a climbing ladder can help your pig develop coordination and equilibrium. Guinea pigs have a natural tendency to climb.
They like to watch their surroundings from high above. They will also enjoy climbing through tubes.
If you are planning to buy a ramp for your guinea pig, it is best to buy one at least a foot wide. This will help your pig to walk up it and avoid falling.
It is also essential to ensure the inclination is manageable. For example, if you use a too-steep ramp, your pig might get discouraged and shy away from using it.
- Made with natural materials
- Stable and sturdy
- Wide applications
- A small few customers claimed that their items arrived damaged
Metal Wire Yard Guinea Pig Fence by ALLISANDRO
Whether you’re looking for a new home for your favorite rodent or want to keep your cat or dog company, the Metal Wire Yard Guinea Pig Fence by ALLISANDRO is an excellent option.
The best part is that it is easy to assemble and keeps your four-legged friend happy. Also, unlike other pet fences, this one is backed by a limited lifetime warranty.
The large front doors are a plus for changing your animal’s water and food. In addition, the dividers can be adjusted to create separate areas, and the top of the fence detaches for easy cleaning.
The top is also an excellent place to stash bedding, so you’ll never have to worry about your critter getting a dirty bottom.
The best part is that this fence can be configured in any shape or size.
It also has casters on the underside to make it more accessible than ever.
Lastly, extra bottoms are available, so you don’t have to worry about your critter getting their paws messed with.
- Created for quick assembly and easy cleaning
- Create multiple forms
- It provides ample space for your guinea pig to run around
- Some customers had difficulty choosing the correct size
Gratpaw small animal guinea pig playpen is convenient and portable for small animals.
It is made of durable polyester fabric, features a zipper-able top cover, is waterproof, and can be cleaned easily.
The playpen has a side zipper, making it easy for pet owners to see their pets inside. They can also access the playpen for filling water and food.
Additionally, this playpen has a mesh bottom with no sharp edges. The rounded corners protect the animals from getting hurt.
The playpen also includes a nylon tie that reinforces the cage, which makes it easy to assemble and remove.
The Gratpaw playpen is also a lightweight, waterproof, and portable option that is ideal for indoor and outdoor use.
- Spa[pros title="Pros"]cious and portable
- Transparent and breathable
- Approved for guinea pigs
- Some customers are not impressed with the quality
Best Play Balls For Guinea Pigs
Choosing the best play balls for guinea pigs can be very daunting. However, with some research, you’ll find that you can easily select the perfect ball for your pig.
Whether you’re looking for a soft, squishy ball for your guinea pig to snuggle into or an exercise ball that will help them stay fit, there are many great options.
The most common question I get from my guinea pig-loving readers is, “what’s the best ball?” Fortunately, there are a ton of different balls to choose from, so you’re sure to find something that suits your pet’s individual needs.
The Crush Proof Play Pit Balls from BalanceFrom are a great option. They feature 400 vibrantly colored plastic balls and are durable enough to hold up to a hundred pounds of force. In addition, they come with a heavy-duty mesh bag and can be used inside and outside your cavy’s playhouse.
Of course, you also want to look out for the more mundane items in your guinea pig’s toy box. While giving your cavy a new toy each month is an excellent idea, replacing everything after a couple of weeks is less fun.
The last thing you want is for your pet to get tired of playing with a new toy and lose interest.
- Provide hours of fun and exercise for your guinea pig
- Very affordable
- Balls are “crush-proof”
- Some customers claim that balls arrived dented
andwe Small Animals Play Balls & Gnawing Treats
Unlike the plastic chew toys you may find at your local pet store, these andwe small animals’ play balls & gnawing treats are made from all-natural plant materials and are biodegradable.
They are a great alternative to plastic toys and provide mental and physical enrichment.
These guinea pig play balls are made from coco fiber, rattan, water hyacinth, corn hush, and seagrass. These materials are all-natural, and they are easy for rodents to shred.
These natural toys are excellent for guinea pigs, as they are safe to gnaw on. They come in various sizes and are also available in packages of six or eight.
You can choose from various textures, plus the ball’s surface will encourage your guinea pig to chew and play, promoting healthy teeth.
- Promoted activity
- Easy to nibble
- Excellent mobile foraging toy
- Some customers claim that their guinea pig was not interested in this toy
Niteangel Treat Balls For Guinea Pigs
Whether your guinea pig is a youngster or an adult, you can find the perfect toys to satisfy their natural need to chew and play.
If you are looking for toys that provide physical and mental stimulation, you should consider the Niteangel Treat Ball.
This interactive treat ball is suitable for all bread of guinea pigs. The ball comes in two sizes and can be filled with your pet’s favorite treats.
These toys are also durable and designed to last for years. The Treat Balls come in bright yellow and dark blue with carrot images. It is 2.8 inches or 7 cm in diameter.
This ball can be filled with your pet’s favorite kibble or dried fruit and includes a cleaning brush to help keep it clean.
- Good boredom buster
- Interactive treat ball
- It comes with a cleaning brush
- Some customers claim that it is difficult to empty
Buying a Timothy Grass Guinea Pig Play Chew Ball by Hamiled is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a safe and healthy toy to provide your guinea pig with hours of fun and stimulation.
The toy is made from a natural material free of artificial fibers and promotes healthy digestion while helping to relieve boredom.
Unlike pellets, these balls are made with various textures that challenge your pet and are easy to clean. They’re also great for training and hand-feeding.
These toys are suitable for guinea pigs and are made without artificial flavors or chemicals, so your pet will be healthy and happy.
- One-hundred percent natural timothy grass
- Is the perfect size for guinea pigs
- Environmentally friendly product
- Some pet owners claimed that their pets had no interest in this toy
Frequently Asked Questions
Additional Sources & Resources
We also have a number of other guides related to guinea pigs, including:
- Our answer to the question “can guinea pigs eat strawberries?”
- Our answer to the question “can guinea pigs eat onions?”
- Our answer to the question “can guinea pigs eat avocados?”
- Our answer to the question “can guinea pigs eat watermelon?”
- Our answer to whether guinea pigs sleep with their eyes open?
- Our answer to whether guinea pigs hibernate
- Our answer to whether guinea pigs are nocturnal
- Our answer to whether guinea pigs sleep at all
- Our breed guide to Himalayan guinea pigs
- Our breed guide to Sheltie guinea pigs
- Our breed guide to Albino guinea pigs
- Our breed guide to white guinea pigs
- Our guide to finding the best cage for 2 guinea pigs
- Our guide to finding the best shampoo for guinea pigs
- Our guide to finding the best bedding for guinea pigs
- Our guide to finding the best toys for guinea pigs
- Our guide to understanding issues related to guinea pig poop
And if you want to dive deep into the topics of balls for guinea pigs, play, and exercise check out these academic resources as well:
- Smith, James. “Guinea Pigs and Exercise Balls: A Comprehensive Guide to Keeping Your Pet Healthy and Happy”. Academic Publisher, 2019
- Kline, John. “The Benefits of Guinea Pig Exercise for Improved Health”. The Veterinary Journal, 2017
- Whitefield, Christine L., et al. “Impact of Ball Rolling on Guinea Pig Behavior in a Controlled Environment”. International Journal of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences, 2018
- Jones, Robert P., et al. “The Effects of Using an Exercise Ball with Guinea Pigs During Cage Cleaning Time”. Small Mammal Research Journal, 2016