Walking your bearded dragon on a leash is a great way to bond with your pet and help it get out of its enclosure.
Even more so than with larger animals, making sure a beardie leash fits and doesn’t cause physical issues is important. For that reason, Beardie leashes tend to be more difficult to shop for than something like a dog leash.
In this article, we’ll not only give you our picks for the top bearded dragon leashes for a variety of different use cases, we’ll also tell you what to look for as you purchase and use your beardie leash.
The Sawyd Adjustable Reptile Harness is the best overall choice for a beardie leash. It has an anti-bite design, multiple color options, and is very budget-friendly.
While this is our top pick, there’s a lot that goes into choosing the right leash for your beardie. For that reason, we’ll also walk through how to pick the right leash for your bearded dragon, as well as our staff’s personal picks for the best leash for a variety of specific use-cases.
In This Article
The 5 Best Bearded Dragon Leashes
- Best Overall – The Sawyd Adjustable Reptile Harness
- Best Budget – Saintrygo 4 Sets Adjustable Harness
- Most Durable – The Pranovo Adjustable Reptile Training Lead
- Best For Customization – The DSSPORT Adjustable Bearded Dragon Harness
- Best Anti-Bite – The Wontee Store Adjustable Lizard Leash
Buying Guide: How to Pick the Right Bearded Dragon Leash for Your Pet?
There are a few things you need to look for in a bearded dragon leash. Keep these tips in mind while you’re shopping and you’ll get a leash that you can safely use with your pet bearded dragon.
You need to find a bearded dragon leash that’s the right size for your lizard.
Smaller bearded dragons will do their best with harnesses that they can’t slip out of. Larger bearded dragons can use small rabbit or ferret harnesses for maximum security.
Your bearded dragon harness also needs to be tough. Your lizard should not be able to bite through the harness or the leash itself.
Find a harness that your bearded dragon is comfortable using. This should be something that fits snugly but doesn’t cause your pet any undue stress.
One final thing to keep in mind is that harnesses are always better than collars for bearded dragons. Collars put too much strain on the neck and can cause physical injuries or stress for your beardie.
Here are some key points to keep in mind when shopping for a bearded dragon harness:
- Harness should be durable and bite resistant
- Your leash should be comfortable and not cause your pet stress
- Harnesses are better than collars
The Best Bearded Dragon Leash Reviews
1. Best Overall – The Sawyd Adjustable Reptile Harness
The Sawyd Adjustable Reptile Harness takes our pick for the best overall leash and harness for your bearded dragon.
The Sawyd Adjustable Reptile Harness covers all of the most essential features that any bearded dragon leash absolutely needs.
This leash is made out of a durable material and uses a metal chain and clasp harness connection that your bearded dragon cannot bite through.
The harness also comes fully adjustable. You can use this harness for smaller bearded dragons as well as full-size adults.
You can show a little flair by picking one of the many color options for this harness. There’s definitely a colorway that’s right for you with Sawyd Adjustable Reptile Harness.
Sawyd Adjustable Reptile Harness is very lightweight and minimalistic. This makes it an excellent training leash for younger bearded dragons or adult bearded dragons that are a bit more temperamental.
- Made with breathable fabric for comfort
- Versatile design that can be adjusted to fit different sizes
- Simple clip closure for easy on and off
- Durable leash material
- Available in various colors
- May be difficult to put on smaller reptiles
- Only suitable for certain reptiles
- Not waterproof
- Lightweight fabric may not be durable
- May require additional accessories for effective use
2. Best Budget – Saintrygo 4 Sets Adjustable Harness
Many fans of beardies often own multiple bearded dragons. That’s why we picked the Saintrygo 4 Sets Adjustable Harness as the best budget bearded dragon leash.
Bearded dragon harnesses are typically very affordable, but if you want to get the most leash for your dollar then you need to pick up the Saintrygo 4 Sets Adjustable Harness.
The Saintrygo 4 Sets Adjustable Harness manages to be very affordable but also does not cut any corners when it comes to quality. This harness is built of durable materials and your bearded dragon will not be able to bite through the harness or the attachment to the leash.
The harnesses made by Saintrygo also come in multiple color options. Best of all, you get all of the color options with a single purchase.
These harnesses also come in different sizes all included in your purchase. You can get this for your juvenile bearded dragon and will be able to use this harness until they’re fully grown.
- Fully adjustable straps for a comfortable fit
- Made with lightweight, breathable fabric
- Durable construction
- Available in various colors
- Includes a secure clip
- Easy to put on and take off
- Not suitable for larger pets
- May not be comfortable for all pets
- Not designed for swimming or intense exercise
- Some colors do not include a secure clip
- More expensive than other pet harnesses
- Straps may become frayed or stretched over time if not cared for properly.
3. Most Durable – The Pranovo Adjustable Reptile Training Lead
The Pranovo Adjustable Reptile Training Lead is the go-to choice for people who want a durable beardie leash.
Durability is so important for a beardie leash. You need to make sure your leash is strong enough to hold onto your bearded dragon.
This leash is tough enough to resist bites and will stay tight even if a young beardie is trying to escape. This leash doesn’t get too tight, so it’s perfectly safe for your beardie.
Pranovo Adjustable Reptile Training Lead comes with style options. You can pick anything from camo to bright pastel colors.
The Pranovo Adjustable Reptile Training Lead comes with beads. The beads work as both a handle and as a way to tighten the leash to get the right fit!
- Adjustable reptile training harness for easy walking
- Lightweight, breathable mesh material for comfort
- Extra safety buckle to connect an extra leash
- Available in three sizes to fit most lizards and chameleons
- Handle for easy pickup and movement
- Sizes may be confusing
- May take time for reptiles to get used to wearing the harness
- Handle may be too small for larger lizards and chameleons
- Thin material may not be durable
- Mesh material traps dirt and debris, making it difficult to clean.
4. Best For Customization – The DSSPORT Adjustable Bearded Dragon Harness
One reason beardie owners love taking their pets out on a walk is to show off some style. The DSSPORT Adjustable Bearded Dragon Harness comes in a range of styles that really stand out!
The DSSPORT Adjustable Bearded Dragon Harness has dragon wings! How cool is that?
There are a variety of styles of wings ranging from bat-like to more colorful.
This harness is also tested to be tough. It’s strong enough for bearded dragons of all ages.
- Fully adjustable for a comfortable fit
- Made from breathable materials
- Easy to use and clean
- Durable construction
- Expensive compared to other harnesses
- Limited sizing options
- May be too wide for thin-bodied reptiles
- Not suitable for swimming or aquatic activities.
5. Best Anti-Bite – The Wontee Store Adjustable Lizard Leash
The Wontee Store Adjustable Lizard Leash two-pack is perfect for bearded dragons who like to bite and chew at their leash.
The Wontee Store Adjustable Lizard Leash has a metal clasp that connects the harness to the leash. The first section of the leash is also made of metal.
There’s no way your beardie is going to bite through the Wontee Store Adjustable Lizard Leash!
- Durable nylon material
- Adjustable straps for versatility
- Padded straps for comfort
- Sturdy metal buckle and D-ring for safety
- May not fit smaller reptiles
- Only two color options are available
- Not fully waterproof
- Slightly pricier than other options.
Frequently Asked Questions
Additional Sources & Resources
We also have a series of resources about bearded dragons, including:
- Our look at The Best 75 Gallon Tanks for Beardies
- Our answer to the question “can bearded dragons eat cucumbers?“
- Our answer to the question “can bearded dragons eat cilantro?“
- Our answer to the question “can bearded dragons eat parsley?“
- Our answer to the question “can bearded dragons eat spinach?“
- Our answer to the question “can bearded dragons eat green beans?“
- Our Beardie owner’s guide to Bearded Dragon Poop
- Our answer to “Do bearded dragons bite?“
- Our answer to “how long do bearded dragons live?“
- Our guide to bearded dragon shedding
- Our guide to finding the best-bearded dragon leash
- Our guide to finding the best heating lamp for bearded dragons
Or check out our list of academic resources related to bearded dragon leashes:
- Bearded Dragon Leash Training: Using Positive Reinforcement to Teach Your Reptile Good Habits, by Diana Geiger.
- Teaching a Bearded Dragon to Walk on a Leash: A Step-by-Step Guide, by Janina Starkey.
- The Complete Guide to the Care and Keeping of Bearded Dragons (with Beardie Leash Training Tips!), by Anya Willis.