Betta fish tanks are tanks designed specifically to meet the needs of this unique fish. Betta fish, otherwise known as Siamese fighting fish, are small-but-vibrant freshwater, tropical fish. They can make great pets for those who enjoy taking care of aquatic life. This fiercely independent fish prefers to swim alone, but some females may get along in one tank if there is a sufficient amount of space for them to each have hiding spots. Therefore, the type of tank you choose for your Betta is pretty important.
Just like all other types of pets, you want to provide the best for your fish. We asked our veterinarian advisor, Dr. Jamie Whittenburg, to review Betta fish tanks to help find the best ones available for your Betta fish. She chose the Fluval SPEC Freshwater Aquarium Kit, with LED Lighting and 3-Stage Filtration because the 5-gallon tank provides adequate room for a single Betta fish. It’s also small enough to display on your desk or table. Read how she chose the top 5.
Our Vet’s Top 5 Betta Fish Tanks
Here are the top picks from our veterinarian. Compare the ratings and features of different tanks.
|Vet’s Picks||Model||Rating||3-Stage Filtration System||Adjustable LED Lighting||365-Degree Viewing|
|Best Overall||Fluval SPEC Freshwater Aquarium Kit, Aquarium with LED Lighting and 3-Stage Filtration|
|Best Budget||Koller Products 5-Gallon Aquarium Kit with LED Lighting and Power Filter|
|Best Small (3 Gallon)||MarineLand Contour Glass Aquarium Kit with Rail Light|
|Best Medium Sized (5 Gallon)||Tetra Aquarium Kit, Fish Tank with Filter and Lights|
|Best Large (10 Gallon)||GloFish Aquarium Kit Fish Tank with LED Lighting and Filtration|
*Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 5 and based on reviews, feedback, and opinions of actual customers
In This Article
Who Should Buy a Betta Fish Tank
- Betta fish keepers – If you’re interested in taking care of Betta fish or already have one, consider investing in a Betta fish tank made to the specifications of a Betta’s natural habitat to keep your fish happy and healthy.1
- Apartment dwellers – If you’re short on space but are looking for a pet, consider getting a Betta fish. In which case, you’ll need a Betta fish tank as well to be sure your fish is in the right environment.
Who Should Not Buy a Betta Fish Tank
- Those who don’t have Betta fish – If you have fish that are not Betta fish, get a tank that is better suited to the type of pet fish you do have. Not all aquatic life like the same size or shape tank.[efn_notes]Hartz. Different Fish Types, Their Aquariums and Care. Hartz.com. Accessed January 13, 2022.[/efn_note]
- Those who are unable to care for a pet – Betta fish are wonderful low-maintenance pets but do have specific requirements to keep them healthy, and still need regular care.2
Research Tips (from a Veterinarian)
The aquarium you choose for your pet fish will be their home and entire world. A water filter is a must for every fish aquarium, which helps keep the water clean and reduces the risk of issues with ammonia. Depending on where the fish are kept, a heater is often crucial as well. Here are some more tips and best practices when looking for a Betta fish tank.
- Talk with your friends, neighbors, and veterinarian for Betta fish tank recommendations – Ask around to other fish keepers about what they do or don’t like about their tanks. Also check the display of the aquarium setup you’re interested in, either in-store or via pictures, so that you can get an accurate impression of the size and appearance of the tank.
- Consider the ease of cleaning the tank – Fish tanks need to be cleaned frequently to keep your fish healthy.3 A fish tank that is difficult to clean may not get cleaned often enough.
- Look for fish tanks made with solid construction and quality materials – Some fish owners prefer the look and clarity of glass. Others, such as those with small children at home, may prefer plastic. In my experience, glass aquariums tend to clean more easily. Glass also stays clear long-term, making it more enjoyable to watch your Betta fish. Plastic may become scratched or cloudy. However, over time, leaks are more common with glass aquariums.
- Select a Betta fish aquarium that comes with a top or covering to ensure the safety of your fish – Some fish jump out of their aquariums, so it’s a good idea to choose a tank with a lid.4 This will also keep cats and other curious creatures from reaching into the aquarium.
- Consider the size and shape of the Betta fish tank – Choose an aquarium that’s spacious enough to give your Betta fish adequate room to swim around, and also holds enough clean water. Betta fish, especially males, are very territorial and shouldn’t be kept with other Betta fish.5 It is possible, though, to keep more than one female Betta in a tank, if necessary.6 Keep in mind where you want to put the fish tank when selecting a size.
How Much Do They Cost?
$15 to $125
Betta fish tanks cost roughly $15 to $125 depending on the type of tank you purchase. From small to large gallon tanks, you have the option of choosing from a variety of different styles. Less expensive fish tanks usually offer just the basic aquarium, while more expensive tanks may include a kit of aquatic accessories. Plastic fish tanks also tend to be cheaper than glass tanks. For instance, the Tetra Aquarium Kit and the Fluval SPEC Freshwater Aquarium Kit are both 5-gallon tanks, but the Tetra, which is plastic, costs less than the Fluval, which is glass.
Our Methodology: Why Trust Pet News Daily
With the help of the veterinary profession and my experience with numerous Betta fish keepers, I selected the top five Betta fish tanks based on quality, efficiency, and safety. There are several factors to consider when choosing a tank, whether you’re new to Betta fish keeping or upgrading your current fish’s home. It’s important to consider what is best for your male or female Betta fish. – Dr. Jamie Whittenburg
The Best Betta Fish Tanks: Full Reviews
The Fluval SPEC Freshwater Aquarium Kit, with LED Lighting and 3-Stage Filtration is the overall favorite tank or Betta aquarium for Betta fish. Made with glass and measuring just over 20 inches by 7 inches by 11 inches, this aquarium sports a modern style and features 7000K LED lighting. The extra bright lighting is great for encouraging plant growth and producing brighter fish. Switch the illumination from day to night with a simple touch of a button. The light also features a waterproof aluminum casing.
The SPEC tank system offers powerful filtration that ensures your fish has clean water, which is important for the ecosystem of the tank and health of your fish. The 3-stage system uses foam, carbon, and biomax for high-quality water. The filtration system is hidden from view, though, with a honeycomb design.
- Bright lighting with day and night options
- 3-stage filtration system
- Waterproof casing on light
- The lid may not be cat-proof
Our favorite budget-friendly Betta fish tank is the Koller Products 5-Gallon Aquarium Kit with LED Lighting and Power Filter. A less expensive option than the others, the Koller small tank size comes equipped with energy-efficient LED lighting that can change between red, green, blue LED, aqua, purple, amber, and daylight white. An essential component of any aquarium fish tank, the high-quality filtration system keeps the water clear and your fish healthy and happy. Replacement filters can be purchased and are easy to install.
The small size of this budget Betta fish tank makes it an ideal addition to any home or office and is a good choice for families with small children. View your Betta fish from all angles thanks to the 365-degree view design. This small and mighty Betta fish tank is made from one piece of plastic instead of multiple glass panels and is safe and sturdy. It’s also less apt to leak. It measures almost 17 inches by 10 inches by 12 inches.
- Multi-color LED lighting
- Constructed from one piece of plastic
- 365-degree view
- Heater sold separately
- No timer for the LED light
Long recognized as a leader in the area of fish care products, the MarineLand Contour Glass Aquarium Kit with Rail Light is our pick for the best small 3-Gallon fish tank for Betta fish. Measuring about 10 inches by 10 inches by 10 inches, this aquarium is constructed with glass and features rounded corners. Access the top of the aquarium via a sliding glass canopy. Not just a convenient way to feed your fish, the canopy also prevents your Betta from jumping out of the tank.
The MarineLand aquarium kit comes with a 3-stage hidden filtration system that features an adjustable-flow filter pump, which provides clean water for your Betta fish. The filter uses floss screens, activated carbon, and Bio-Foam to get rid of dirt, odors, and bacteria. The LED lighting system offers a day and night setting that creates shimmering light, mimicking the natural underwater effect of sunlight and moonlight.
- 3-stage filtration system
- Sliding glass canopy
- Sunlight and moonlight effects
- Heater is sold separately
The best medium-sized 5-gallon Betta fish tank is the Tetra Aquarium Kit, Fish Tank with Filter and Lights. Well-known in fish keeping, Tetra offers a stylish, high-quality aquarium in a medium size that measures just under 17 inches by just over 11 inches by 13 inches. Though not the smallest Betta fish tank available, it’s still small enough to display in your home or office while also offering your Betta plenty of room to swim around.
The Tetra Betta fish tank is made with seamless acrylic, allowing you unobstructed viewing, and is easy to clean and maintain. This tank features efficient, bright, white LED lighting for an LED aquarium kit. The quiet, internal water filter comes with one filter cartridge, which helps sort out the dirt and debris to keep the water clean.
- Bright white LED lighting
- Water filter is quiet
- 365-degree viewing
- Small gap in the cover
- Heater not included
If you are in the market for a larger tank and Betta fish aquarium, we like the GloFish Aquarium Kit Fish Tank with LED Lighting and Filtration as the best large 10-gallon Betta fish tank. This aquarium is made with glass and comes with LED lights, a top hood, water filter, thermometer, and heater. The aquarium starter kit also includes sample fish food and water conditioners. The blue and white LED lighting in this aquarium is both energy-efficient and high quality. It adds brilliant color while still being eco-friendly.
- Blue and white LED lights
- Aquarium comes with accessories
- Cover is not as sturdy as most
Frequently Asked Questions
Pet News Daily uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial process to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
- RSPCA. What sort of environment should Siamese fighting fish be kept in? Kb.rspca.org. Updated April 30, 2019. Accessed January 13, 2022.
- Petco. Betta Care Sheet. Petco.com. Accessed January 13, 2022.
- Country Veterinary Clinic. The Best Way to Clean a Fish Tank. Countryvet.net. Accessed January 13, 2022.
- Virata J. Why Do Fish Jump Out Of Water? Be.chewy.com. Published June 20, 2016. Accessed January 13, 2022.
- Mueller B. Bettas Need More Than Bowls. Vetmed.illinois.edu. Published April 15, 2019. Accessed January 13, 2022.
- Adelphi University New York. Female Betta Fish. Adelphi.edu. Accessed January 13, 2022.
- Betta Fish Care. Bettafish.org. Accessed January 7, 2022
- Betta Fish Care. Bettafish.org. Accessed January 7, 2022
- Betta Fish Tank Mates. Bettafish.org. Accessed January 8, 2022
- Do Betta Fish Need a Bubbler? Bettafishaquarium.com. Accessed January 8, 2022