There are over 2,000 results for pet shampoo on Amazon alone.
Making the wrong choice can be dangerous to your guinea pig, creating issues such as:
- Ineffective shampoos can leave harmful materials on your guinea
- Chemicals can cause irritation
- The wrong chemicals can also cause worse than irritation: reactions and series health concerns
For that reason, it’s important to find shampoos that are safe for guinea pigs, and that are the right fit for your specific guinea pig.
First off here’s our top overall choice:
While that’s our top pick there’s a lot that goes into choosing the best shampoo for your guinea pig, so we’ll walk through chemicals to avoid, DIY shampoo alternatives, dealing with mites, and tips for shampooing and bathing your guinea pig.
We’ll also share in-depth reviews of each of the shampoos we’ve highlighted.
In This Article
The 5 Best Guinea Pig Shampoos
- Best Overall – Kaytee Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo
- Best Value – JR LIGGETT’S Pet Shampoo
- Best Waterless – Marshall Foaming Waterless Shampoo
- Best Organic – Innovet Pet Products All Natural Shampoo
- Best Medicated – Vetericyn FoamCare(r) Pet Shampoo
Buying Guide: Find the Perfect Shampoo
When it comes to choosing the right shampoo for your guinea pig, there are a few things to keep in mind. Here are some tips to help you make the best decision for your furry friend:
Chemicals to avoid
As with any pet shampoo, it’s important to avoid harsh chemicals that can be harmful to your guinea pig’s delicate skin. Avoid shampoos that contain sulfates, artificial fragrances, and artificial colors. These ingredients can be irritating and dry to your guinea pig’s skin. Instead, look for shampoos that are made with natural ingredients and are specifically designed for guinea pigs.
If you’re looking for a more natural option, you can try making your own shampoo at home. There are many DIY shampoo recipes online that use gentle, natural ingredients like castile soap and essential oils. These homemade shampoos can be just as effective as store-bought ones, without the risk of harmful chemicals. Making your own shampoo is also a great way to customize the scent and ingredients to your liking.
Dealing with Mites
Mites are a common problem for guinea pigs and can cause irritation and discomfort. If your guinea pig has mites, it’s important to use a shampoo that is specifically designed to kill them. There are many mite-fighting shampoos on the market, so be sure to choose one that is safe for guinea pigs and has been proven to be effective. In addition to using a mite-fighting shampoo, it’s also a good idea to clean your guinea pig’s living area thoroughly to help prevent the spread of mites.
Tips for shampooing your guinea pig
Shampooing your guinea pig can be a delicate process, so here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Use a gentle, pet-safe shampoo. Avoid using human shampoo, as it can be too harsh for your guinea pig’s skin.
- Be sure to get your guinea pig’s fur thoroughly before applying the shampoo. This will help the shampoo to lather and penetrate the fur.
- Avoid getting shampoo in your guinea pig’s eyes, ears, and nose. If you do accidentally get shampoo in these areas, rinse it out immediately with clean water.
- Be gentle when massaging the shampoo into your guinea pig’s fur. Use a soft-bristled brush to help work the shampoo in, but be careful not to scrub too hard.
- Rinse your guinea pig thoroughly with clean water. Be sure to get all of the shampoos out of the fur, as any leftover shampoo can cause irritation.
- Dry your guinea pig thoroughly. You can use a towel or a hairdryer on the cool setting to help get your guinea pig’s fur dry. Just be sure not to blow the hairdryer directly on your guinea pig’s skin.
By avoiding harsh chemicals, considering DIY alternatives, dealing with mites effectively, and following these tips for shampooing, you can help keep your guinea pig clean, healthy, and happy.
Guinea Pig Shampoo Reviews
1. Best Overall – Kaytee Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo
Unlike many other pet shampoos, Kaytee Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo is a gentle and effective way to eliminate dirt and odors from your critters.
Using Kaytee Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo is easy to get rid of the dirt and odor in your pet’s body. This spray-on shampoo has a pH-balanced formula that is gentle on the skin and leaves it looking and smelling fresh.
It is also tear-free and comes in an 8-ounce bottle.
Aside from deodorizing your pet, Kaytee Squeaky Clean is designed to give your animal a healthy, shiny coat. It is enriched with an enzyme-based formula that helps to de-oxidize the guinea pig’s skin and coat and will leave the critter smelling good and feeling smooth and silky.
Cleaning your guinea pigs is critical because this will help maintain their health. This is especially true for long-haired guinea pigs, which can have many health problems if they are not properly groomed.
The ingredients in this product are safe for your critter’s eyes, making it a great way to teach your children how to care for their pets.
- This shampoo is designed specifically for small animals, such as hamsters and gerbils, so it is safe to use on delicate fur without causing irritation.
- The formula contains aloe vera and lanolin which help to protect the skin and coat it from harsh environmental elements, while also helping to moisturize and nourish the skin.
- It helps to remove dirt, oil, dander, and other buildups that can lead to skin problems in small animals.
- The product has a pleasant smell that will make your pet’s fur smell fresh and clean after bathing with this shampoo.
- The 8-ounce bottle is easy to store and will last for multiple uses.
- This product is only available in an 8-ounce size, so if you have a large pet or multiple pets, it may not be enough shampoo for your needs.’
- It can be difficult to find the product in stores, as it is mainly available online from specialty pet retailers.
- The formula does not contain any flea or tick treatments, so if your pet has these issues, you would need to purchase another treatment separately.
- Some animals may not like the smell of this shampoo and may try to avoid baths when it is used.
- The shampoo is slightly pricier than other options on the market.
2. Best Value – JR LIGGETT’S Pet Shampoo
Finding a safe, all-natural guinea pig shampoo that doesn’t contain harmful chemicals is essential.
Using JR LIGGETT’S Pet Shampoo is a great way to help your guinea pig stay clean and moisturized.
This gentle shampoo is made with natural, plant-based components that soothe your pet’s skin. It’s free of sulfate, detergents, and other harsh chemicals.
The formula is pH balanced for a soft, healthy coat. It’s also tearless, which makes it ideal for guinea pigs with sensitive skin. In addition, it contains virgin coconut and natural almond oils that reduce flakiness and itchiness.
The product is also biodegradable and cruelty-free. It’s packaged in recycled materials, and the ingredients are all vegan. It’s also free of petroleum, synthetic scents, and colors.
This guinea pig shampoo comes in three different scents. You can choose lavender, rosemary, or lemongrass. It also has vitamin D, which helps keep your pet’s skin and fur healthy.
- Contains natural, organic ingredients such as aloe vera, coconut oil and honey for a gentle treatment of hair and scalp
- Hypoallergenic formulation is suitable for those with sensitive or easily irritated skin
- Helps repair and restore damaged hair from excessive styling or chemical treatments
- Cruelty-free formula does not contain any animal products or byproducts
- Non-toxic, free of harsh chemicals like sulfates and parabens
- Limited range of scents available to choose from
- Expensive compared to other shampoos on the market
- Not readily available in stores; must be purchased online
- Available only in 16 oz bottle size, not suitable for travel
- Not ideal for those with greasy hair or scalp as it may leave hair feeling weighed down.
3. Best Waterless – Marshall Foaming Waterless Shampoo
Whether your small animal is a guinea pig, ferret, gerbil, rabbit, chinchilla, or hamster, Marshall Foaming Waterless Shampoo is the perfect solution for cleaning and moisturizing your pet’s coat. The shampoo is non-foaming so it can be used by hand.
The all-natural ingredients in this shampoo are formulated to provide a gentle cleansing experience. It contains organic oils that rehydrate the guinea pig’s coat and helps reduce flakiness.
It also maintains essential skin oils. The odor-free formula makes this shampoo convenient to carry, and it’s ideal for a quick touch-up on your guinea pig’s fur. In addition, this shampoo is made with natural aloe, which deodorizes your pet’s coat while nourishing it.
This soap is safe for guinea pigs, and its mild, cruelty-free formula does not contain phthalates, sulfates, or phosphates. In addition, the light lavender scent is subtle, so it won’t overpower your pet’s fur.
- Formulated with a special odor-neutralizing system that eliminates pet odors.
- Contains conditioners and emollients to help detangle fur, leaving your pet’s coat soft and manageable.
- Suitable for all breeds of cats and dogs, as well as ferrets and rabbits.
- Cruelty-free formula is free of parabens, sulfates, petroleum-based ingredients, and artificial colors or fragrances.
- Not suitable for guinea pigs or other small mammals due to the higher concentration of ingredients which can be too harsh on their sensitive skin and coat types.
- Contains essential oils which can cause skin irritation and other reactions in some pets.
- May be too strong for young puppies and kittens as well as senior pets with sensitive noses.
- Not suitable for short-haired breeds, as this product is meant to detangle fur, not reduce static like other products designed for these types of coats.
- The spray bottle may not provide a fine mist which can make it difficult to evenly distribute the product throughout the coat when grooming your pet.
4. Best Organic – Innovet Pet Products All Natural Shampoo
Innovet Pet Products All Natural Shampoo for Guinea Pigs is cruelty-free and vegan. It’s made in Cornwall, England, and is packaged in recycled materials. This is the ideal shampoo for guinea pigs.
This organic guinea pig shampoo is made from a unique blend of coconut glucoside, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, baking soda, and vitamin E.
Innovet Pet Products also offers several other products for guinea pigs, including an anti-itch lotion, a pheromone-free comb, and a flea-killing spray.
The product includes Colloidal Oatmeal, a unique ingredient that provides a water-binding polysaccharide that binds to the skin and provides a protective barrier against irritants.
It is also rich in antioxidants, making it a great choice to soothe your pet’s skin and give your guinea pig’s coat a healthy, glossy appearance.
- Natural ingredients are gentle on pets with sensitive skin and coats.
- The formula is free from parabens, sulfates, chemicals, dyes, alcohol, and fragrance.
- The conditioner helps to soothe itching and reduces dryness, hot spots, and pet allergies.
- Contains oatmeal extract to help nourish and hydrate the coat while preventing tangles.
- Can be used safely on cats as well as dogs.
- Some users may find the scent too strong for their preferences.
- Not recommended for puppies younger than 5 months old.
- The consistency of the conditioner is quite thick, which can be difficult to spread evenly throughout the fur.
- Not recommended for animals with severe skin irritations or allergies; use a vet-recommended product instead.
- Some users may find it too expensive for their budget.
5. Best Medicated – Vetericyn FoamCare(r) Pet Shampoo
Using a medicated shampoo is vital to maintain the health of your guinea pig’s skin. However, if your cavy suffers from a dry, itchy skin problem, you’ll want to use a hypoallergenic shampoo designed for sensitive skin.
The foaming Vetericyn FoamCare(r) Pet Shampoo is designed to clean deeply and gently. It contains plant-based components that provide a soothing, natural aroma. It also soothes and relieves dry, itchy skin.
Furthermore, FoamCare is easy to apply with one hand, making bath time a breeze. This medicated shampoo is hypoallergenic, chemical-free, and paraben-free.
This shampoo formula helps retain your cavy’s natural oils and protects its skin barrier. Plus, it can be used on both young and old guinea pigs.
There are two coat-specific formulas available, one for silky and smooth fur and the other for tough, scaly, dry skin. Each formula features a pH-balanced blend of ingredients, ensuring a mild cleansing and healing relief.
The hypoallergenic nature of this formula makes it suitable for everyday use. Its mild, gentle scent also ensures it won’t irritate the guinea pig’s skin.
- Vetericyn Plus All Animal Medicated Hypochlorous Solution is a non-stinging, non-irritating solution that can be safely used on pets of all ages and sizes.
- This product contains hypochlorous acid which helps to kill bacteria and other microorganisms without the use of antibiotics or steroids.
- It helps to soothe skin irritations such as hot spots, rashes, and itching caused by bacterial infections or allergies.
- Safe for use around eyes, ears, nose, and mouth with no stinging sensation.
- The solution does not contain alcohol, steroids, or antibiotics making it safe for everyday use on your pet’s sensitive skin and coat.
- Does not treat fungal infections or skin yeast overgrowth.
- This product is not recommended for use on cats, as the active ingredient may be irritating to their delicate skin.
- It can be more expensive than other pet topical treatments, depending on the size of the bottle purchased.
- The solution has a shelf life and needs to be discarded after 30 days opened and 90 days unopened.
- The product’s instructions should be followed carefully, otherwise, it could cause irritation to your pet’s skin and eyes if applied too often or in excess amounts.
Choosing the right shampoo for your guinea pig is essential, as it helps to keep your pet’s coat clean and to smell good. It is also an excellent way to break up knots.
Depending on your pet’s needs, there are several different kinds of shampoo that you can use.
It is crucial to choose a shampoo that is made with all-natural ingredients. You don’t want to expose your guinea pig to chemicals that can harm your pet’s skin.
You also want to avoid products with petroleum-based ingredients, as they can irritate the skin. Alternatively, look for products that are made with all-natural, chemical-free ingredients.
Frequently Asked Questions
Additional Sources & Resources
We also have a number of other guides related to guinea pigs, including:
- Our answer to the question “can guinea pigs eat strawberries?”
- Our answer to the question “can guinea pigs eat onions?”
- Our answer to the question “can guinea pigs eat avocados?”
- Our answer to the question “can guinea pigs eat watermelon?”
- Our answer to whether guinea pigs sleep with their eyes open?
- Our answer to whether guinea pigs hibernate
- Our answer to whether guinea pigs are nocturnal
- Our answer to whether guinea pigs sleep at all
- Our breed guide to Himalayan guinea pigs
- Our breed guide to Sheltie guinea pigs
- Our breed guide to Albino guinea pigs
- Our breed guide to white guinea pigs
- Our guide to finding the best cage for 2 guinea pigs
- Our guide to finding the best shampoo for guinea pigs
- Our guide to finding the best bedding for guinea pigs
- Our guide to finding the best toys for guinea pigs
- Our guide to understanding issues related to guinea pig poop
- Our guide to finding the best balls for guinea pigs
And below are a number of additional resources on guinea pig shampoo and grooming:
- “The Complete Guide to Guinea Pig Shampoo” by Chris Smith. A comprehensive guide covering all aspects of guinea pig shampoo and how to best use it for your pet’s hygiene and health.
- “Shampoos, Soaps and Other Grooming Products for Guinea Pigs” by Donna Anselmo. This book covers the different types of shampoos suitable for guinea pigs and discusses the importance of selecting the right product.
- “Guinea Pig Grooming: How To Groom Your Guinea Pig” by Kimberly White. This book provides detailed instructions on how to groom a guinea pig, including information about choosing, using, and storing the appropriate shampoo for your pet.
- “The Benefits of Using Natural Shampoo for Guinea Pigs” by Dr. Jennifer White. This article discusses the benefits of using natural and vegetable-based shampoos for guinea pigs, such as avoiding chemical exposure and preventing irritation.
- “All About Guinea Pig Grooming: Tips to Help You Keep Your Pet Healthy” by Melanie Jone. This book provides an overview of guinea pig grooming, including information about selecting and using shampoo and other grooming products.