Dalmatian looking up next to a pineapple

Can Dogs Eat Pineapple?

Our veterinarians research and recommend the best products. Learn more about our process. We may receive a commission on purchases made from our links.

If your dog is like most, he wants a bit of what you’re eating, regardless of the snack. Maybe he’s surprised you by demanding some tangy, tropical pineapple, so you find yourself wondering, “Can dogs eat pineapple?”

But should you offer Fido any pineapple? And if it’s safe, how much should you give him and how should you prepare it?

As a dog owner, it’s essential to know what foods are safe for your pup. So, where does pineapple rank?

Is it Safe for My Dog to Eat Pineapple?

Yes! It’s OK to give small amounts of pineapple to your canine companion, especially when you consider how it packs a palatable punch of essential nutrients like vitamin C, antioxidants, and vitamin B6.

They’re also high in water content, so they’re a refreshing and delicious way to ensure Fido is well-hydrated during the dog days of summer.

Try pureeing and freezing the fruit in ice cube trays as a homemade alternative to store-bought goodies.

Are There Any Safety Concerns Feeding Pineapple to My Dog?

Of course, too much of a good thing can quickly become a bad thing. If you introduce more than a snack-size amount of pineapple to your pup’s diet, the sugar and fiber can cause tummy troubles, such as diarrhea and nausea.

Over time, increasing your beloved companion’s sugar consumption with pineapple and other sweet treats can eventually lead to diabetes.

Dog diet experts recommend limiting treat foods to 10% of your pet’s diet, with the remaining 90% consisting of high-quality, protein-rich dog food.

How Much Pineapple Can I Feed My Dog?

Only give your dog 2-3 chunks of pineapple at a time, and even less for smaller breeds.

If you notice your dog has digestive upset after even tiny amounts of pineapple, don’t give it to him again. Look for other healthy treats to offer instead.

How to Prepare Pineapple for Dogs

There are also safety considerations when preparing the fruit. Dog-safe pineapple chunks should only include the flesh of the fruit and absolutely none of the skin or the core.

Your dog should never ingest any pineapple core, as it’s far too difficult to digest and can cause intestinal blockages.

Ensure you don’t give your dog any of the skin of the pineapple, either. The spines are a potentially serious hazard.

Cut the fruit into small pieces that are easy for Fido to eat. Only give your dog one chunk of pineapple at a time. If you notice that they are struggling to chew the fruit, avoid offering pineapple in the future to prevent choking.

If it’s the first time Fido has enjoyed this treat, start with one piece and see how he reacts.

Final Thoughts

As we’ve learned here, a small amount of pineapple is safe for your dog. However, different dogs react differently to new foods.

Keep a close eye on your pet to see his reaction after eating this fruit. If there are signs of digestive upset, don’t feed it to him again.

If you’re wondering about other common foods and whether they’re safe for your dog to eat, check out the following articles:

Pet News Daily Staff
Pet News Daily writers are experts in pet care, health and behavior. We are members of Society for Professional Journalists and practice ethical journalism.