Here at Pet News Daily we have tested and reviewed a ton of dog harnesses.
One thing that’s very quickly evident as you look into different types of harnesses is that not every dog harness is good for every kind of breed. Getting a harness that’s wrong for your dog (but may be right for another breed) can lead to major issues like serious health concerns, your dog slipping out of the harness, or the harness needing to be replaced shortly after you buy it.
For that reason, we’re creating a series of breed-specific dog harness guides like our guide to choosing the best Husky harness.
For this guide, we asked our veterinary advisor, Dr. Danielle Morosco, to recommend the best harness for a German Shepherd.
Our pick for the best German Shepherd harness is the ICEFANG Tactical Dog Harness.
In addition to getting her pick for the best harness overall, we also asked her to choose some alternative options in case you want to solve some specific problems for your personal GS.
The 5 Best German Shepherd Harnesses
- Best Overall – The Tactical Harness by ICEFANG
- Best Budget – The SlowTon No Pull Dog Harness
- Best Heavy Duty – The Auroth Tactical Dog Harness
- Best No Pull – BUMBIN Tactical Dog Harness
- Best for Miniature & Puppies – The PHOEPET Upgraded No Pull Dog Harness
By the time you’re done reading, you’ll know everything you need to know to find the perfect harness for your German Shepherd.
Here are the top picks from our veterinarian. Compare the ratings and features of different models.
|Editor’s Picks||Brand||Rating||Colors||Material||Notable Feature|
|Best Overall||ICEFANG Tactical Dog Harness||10||Nylon||Metal buckles, working dog molle|
|Best Budget||PoyPet No Pull Dog Harness||9||Polyester, Mesh||Vertical handle, 2 hook loops|
|Best Heavy Duty||Auroth Tactical Dog Harness||14||Nylon, Breathable Air Mesh with Soft Padded Cotton Cushion||2 leash attachments, padded cotton cushion|
|Best No Pull||BUMBIN Tactical Dog Harness||10||Mesh Lining, Plastic, Cotton||Nesting buckle, Molle system|
|Best Small||PHOEPET Upgraded No Pull Dog Harness||22||Nylon, Breathable Air Mesh with Padded Cushion, Durable Oxford Surface||Reflective material, 2 hook loops, soft handle|
*Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 5 and based on reviews, feedback, and opinions of actual customers
In This Article
Who Should Buy These Harnesses
- People with German Shepherds – If you’re the pet parent of a German Shepherd, you need a sturdy harness. They are very powerful dogs and generally tend to be large when full grown, so you’ll want to have complete control over your dog during walks.
- Folks who want to take their dog on hikes – The hiking trails of America are full of natural dangers like wild animals, poisonous plants, steep cliffs, and issues navigating. The harnesses on this list offer a safe way to take your German Shepherd into the wilderness.
- Families with similar dogs – While these are the best harnesses for German Shepherds, they’re not breed specific. If you have multiple dogs or have a friend with a breed that’s a similar size and strength to German Shepherds who are interested in a harness these may be good options.
Who Should Not Buy a Husky Harness
- People with small dogs – While we do have an option on the list for German Shepherd puppies and Miniature German Shepherds, most of these options are designed for larger, stronger dogs. If you have a smaller / slight dog, you’ll likely want to look at different harness options.
- People who prefer collars – While many pup parents swear by harnesses, others strongly prefer collars. The right choice for you will depend on your dog’s behavior and which option they find more comfortable.
If you haven’t made a final call on harnesses versus collars, we recommend checking out this video on the subject from veterinarian Dr. Gary Richter:
Buying Guide: Research Tips From a Veterinarian
What to look for and what to avoid in choosing a harness for your German Shepherd:
- When looking for a harness for any dog, it is important to keep your dog’s size and energy level in mind. This will impact whether a no-pull harness is a priority, and how sturdy you need the harness materials to need to be.
- You also need to look for harnesses that have strong, durable material and attachment hooks and MOLLE material if wanting to carry gear.
- If looking for a heavy-duty harness, avoid harnesses that do not have buckles. Some harnesses only have Velcro as an attachment style which can be a problem for large, strong breeds like German Shepherds so keep that in mind.
How Much Do They Cost?
Between $18 and $35
For the German Shepherd harnesses recommended here, you can expect to pay between $18 and $35. At the lower end of this price range, you’ll find smaller harnesses and/or harnesses with less expensive materials. Higher-end harnesses will tend to be more comfortable, durable, and stylish.
Our Methodology: Why Trust Pet News Daily
I’ve evaluated these harnesses based on my professional experience as a veterinarian combined with product feature considerations. The quality of each harness was determined by considering the materials, hardware, adjustability, and overall design. German Shepherds can be escape artists, so it’s essential that their harnesses are made from quality materials and can be adjusted for a precise fit! – Dr. Morosco
The Best German Shepherd Harness Reviews
1. Best Overall – ICEFANG Tactical Dog Harness
This tactical dog harness by ICEFANG is perfect for holding all of your essential gear while out on patrol. Made from lightweight aluminum and tough stitching, it can handle anything you and your dog might encounter. The Molle system allows you to attach additional pouches and gear as needed, while the two straps make it easy to put on and take off.
- Lightweight aluminum Buckle (1000lb Proof-Load Test )
- Two 1″ Strips of Molle Sewn Onto Both Side
- Ability to attach needed items through clips on side of harness
- Tough stitching for longer life expectancy
- The most expensive harness on the list
- Some customers have complained about difficulty with fit for their German Shepherd
- Some customers have complained their dog seems uncomfortable in the harness
There are a number of video reviews of the harness if you want to see it in action and get some different perspectives. Here is one:
Here is another:
And a third:
2. Best Budget – The SlowTon No Pull Dog Harness
The SlowTon No Pull Dog Harness is an ergonomic, comfortable, and secure way to control your dog while walking. The harness features a unique patented design that helps prevent your dog from pulling. This harness is made of 100% polyester, scratch-resistant Oxford mesh fabric and soft sponge which makes it lightweight and breathable. It has 4 adjustable straps and 2 quick snap buckles allowing for easier on and off. The double locking buckles are designed to strengthen the security of the harness by preventing dogs from backing out of them or slipping out when tugging against them
- Made of 100% polyester, scratch-resistant Oxford mesh fabric and soft sponge
- Lightweight and breathable
- 4 adjustable straps and 2 quick snap buckles allowing for easier on and off
- Double locking buckles to strengthen security of harness
- The main complaint from customers were around durability, particularly for the collar portion of the harness
3. Best Heavy Duty – The Auroth Tactical Dog Harness
The Auroth Tactical Dog Harness is perfect for those who love the great outdoors. This harness is made with 900D Nylon and sturdy stitching for extra durability. It has 4 fully adjustable straps to ensure a comfortable, customized fit for your dog. The Molle Sewn on both sides of the harness allows your dog to carry gear, making it the perfect accessory for your next hike or camping trip.
- 4 fully adjustable straps
- Made with 900D Nylon with sturdy stitching for extra durability
- Two 1″ strips of Molle Sewn on both sides allowing your dog to carry gear
- Some customers complained about sizing issues
- Some customers complained about durability
- Some customers complained about poor customer service
If you want to see the harness in action and get another perspective, here is a video review:
As well as an unboxing of the product:
And Auroth has put out videos of their own including a video overview:
And a fit guide:
4. Best No Pull – BUMBIN Tactical Dog Harness
BUMBIN Tactical Dog Harness is a well-made and comfortable harness for your dog. Made of high quality nylon and metal, it can be used for daily walking or training in the field. The padded chest plate provides extra comfort to your dog while wearing this harness. The leash attachment points are reinforced with heavy duty metal rings, which will not break off easily like other plastic rings do. It also has hook & loop panels on both sides of the harness so you can freely choose patches or badges to show your dog’s personality!
- 2 Sturdy Metal D-Rings for connecting the leash
- The soft padding and breathable air mesh allow for comfort while wearing
- Hook and loop panels allow you freely choose a variety of patches and badges to show your dog’s personality
- Front clip to discourage pulling behavior on leash
- Some customers complained about size
- Some customers complained about durability
5. Best for Miniature & Puppies – The PHOEPET Upgraded No Pull Dog Harness
The PHOEPET Upgraded No Pull Dog Harness is a brand-new dog harness from PHOEPET. It is an upgraded version of the original. The upgraded version features multiple strong buckles with high-quality Oxford material and breathable mesh to ensure your pet’s comfort. Our dog harnesses are fully adjustable, easy to put on/off, and fit for dogs between 7-12 pounds (3-5 kg) or chest girth 17″-28″ (43cm
- Multiple strong buckles
- Fully adjustable for your small dog
- Multiple different colors
- Made of quality Oxford and breathable mesh
- Some customers complain about fit
- Some customers complain about the quality of straps and buckles
Frequently Asked Questions
- The best dog lift harness
- The best no-pull dog harness
- The best harnesses for huskies
- The best front clip dog harnesses
- The best puppy harnesses
- The best dog car harnesses
- The best step-in dog harness
- The Best Service Dog Harness
- The best Dachshund harness
- The best Chihuahua harness
And our individual harness reviews: