As a dog owner, knowing that your pup is safe in your yard can give you peace of mind, and many pet owners choose to fence their properties. An alternative to a privacy or chain-link fence, however, is an electric dog fence that keeps your dog in without the need for expensive backyard remodeling. At Pet News Daily, we’re very familiar with the pros and cons of these fences, and took an in-depth look at the Extreme Dog Fence Pro Grade System.
Can the Extreme Fence Keep My Dog Safe?
The short answer is yes; a popular choice with dog owners, the company is located in the USA and has a lot of fans. However, before making the investment, it’s a good idea to review its features. Let’s take a look at what the fence has to offer and why it might be the right choice for you and your pooch.
Our Score for the Extreme Dog Fence
In This Article
About the Extreme Dog Fence
If your goal is to keep your dog in your yard, the Extreme Dog Fence Pro Grade System might be right for you. It will work on properties as large as 10 acres and comes with 500 feet of boundary wire. The package also comes with training flags, one dog collar, two pairs of contact points, splice kits, a battery, 10 landscape staples, and a surge protector. In short, you’ll have everything you need to set up the fence for your dog.
The collar itself is lightweight and can be used for dogs as small as 8 lbs. There are seven correction levels, making it possible for you to modify the training based on your dog’s personality, size, and other factors. If you have more than one dog, you can also program each collar separately. The contacts on the collar are covered in rubber, allowing the correction to get through but not to the point of irritating your dog’s sensitive skin. One other nice feature of the collar is that it’s waterproof. If your dog decides to run through a downpour or jump in a pond on your property, there are no worries!
The battery for the Extreme Dog Fence collar is disposable, not rechargeable. It lasts an average of three to four months, eliminating any concerns about having to charge it frequently. It also has an indicator that will alert you several days before you need to change it, giving you time to acquire a new battery so you can switch it out.
If your neighbors also have electronic fences for their dogs, you might be concerned about feedback and interference. The good news is that the transmitter for this product has multiple frequencies to select from, allowing you to choose one that doesn’t interfere with others in your immediate area. It also allows you to control how close your dog can get to the boundary before experiencing a correction, so you can enlarge or reduce your dog’s boundaries as needed. If there’s a breach in the wire for whatever reason, there’s also a feature that will alert you so you can fix the issue and keep your dog safe.
The Extreme Dog Fence Pro Grade System is popular due to its features, some of which are common among dog fences, while others are unique:
- Fully comprehensive product that contains everything needed for start-up
- Large (up to 10-acre) boundary possible
- Lightweight, comfortable collar
- Completely waterproof
- Programmable correction levels for different dogs
- Good for multi-dog households
- Disposable battery
- Multiple frequencies on transmitter to prevent interference
- Automatic adjustments for temperature changes
- 10-year warranty
What We Like
There’s a lot to like about the Extreme Dog Fence. Here are a few of our favorite features:
- Independently programmable collars. If you have more than one dog and they’re different breeds or sizes, having the ability to program the correction levels separately is both convenient and necessary.
- Able to be used on small dogs. Many dog fence collars are heavy or simply not suited for the smallest pooches. This collar can be used on dogs as small as 8 lbs.
- Comfortable, waterproof collars. These are comfortable, particularly since their contact points are covered to avoid skin irritation. In addition, your dog can go for a swim or play in puddles without concern, since the collar is completely enclosed with no dials or buttons.
- Frequency levels are varied. It’s frustrating when a neighbor has their fence set at the same frequency as yours, since it can lead to interruptions in your dog’s safety. There are several different frequencies available in the transmitter, so you can find one that’s unique and improve the functionality of the fence.
What We Don’t Like
As with any dog fence product, there are a few things we don’t like as much:
- Disposable battery. This can be a pro or a con, depending on your preference, but we wish there was an option to use a rechargeable battery for those who would prefer that. Some people would rather charge their collars regularly and not have to worry about replacing them every few months.
- No battery backup. If the power goes out at your house, there’s no backup system, so your dog will not receive any corrections for leaving the property. This is important to be aware of for anyone using this system.
The Extreme Dog Fence Pro Grade System is the most popular option, but there are other products by the same company that come at different price points and that have a few different features.
- Contain & Train System. This is the most budget-friendly option. It includes a handheld remote to help you efficiently train your dog on how to use the system.
- Standard Grade System. This is a great package that can be used on larger properties up to 15 acres. The price is at the mid-point.
- Max Grade System. This one contains all the bells and whistles of the Pro Grade System and also has a more durable wire for extreme weather conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do Extreme Dog Fence batteries last?
The batteries are 6-volt disposable batteries and they last up to four months. You can feel free to stock up, as they have a six-year shelf life. This will also help to ensure you won’t run out of batteries at an inopportune time!
What frequencies does the Extreme Dog Fence use?
The default setting on the transmitter is 7KHz, but you can also change it to 4KHz if there’s interference from a neighbor’s pet fence.
Will my dog get corrected when entering the yard from the house?
No. You’ll use the twisted wire from the transmitter to the boundary line. The twisted wire cancels out the correction, so your dog can cross that wire without issue. He’ll only be corrected if he attempts to cross the boundary wire in the yard.
Why is my Extreme Dog Fence collar flashing?
If the collar is flashing, it means the battery in the collar needs to be changed. It will begin flashing up to one week before the battery is completely depleted, so you’ll have some time before you need to change it.
When you’re in the market for any type of dog-training or safety device, it’s helpful to look at reviews. We’ve found some positive and some negative reviews to give you a balanced view.
Overall, the Extreme Dog Fence received a lot of positive reviews. Customers liked the ease of setup, the good customer service when tech support was needed, and the overall reliability of the system.
After months of research and reading, I bought the Extreme Dog Fence system. I am really glad I did. The wire shielding is really thick and sturdy. The controller is easy to use and has a lot of flexibility. The setup was straight forward and the tech help was GREAT. Crystal is a customer service agent at Extreme Dog Fence and she was a great help. She was very knowledgeable and had all the answers I needed. We have two German Shepards and this system works very well keeping them in the yard. If you are looking for this type of fencing system this one is really worth considering. – Ohiotools, Amazon, 5/17/2020
When I bought this item I was skeptical but wow was I surprised at the effectiveness of this system. I have two heelers which are very intelligent so in 8 hours of training my dogs had total respect for the fence. I can leave town now and not worry about what mischief they are into. – Shelley Sweat, Amazon, 1/8/2020
Of course, not everyone was completely happy with their purchase. Here are a couple of negative reviews to consider.
For some reason the warning tone is very very low volume and can’t be raised I thought I had a defect and actually was set the second unit and same issue with low volume tone. I believe the dog can hear it but it makes it difficult to train because you can’t hear the tone I don’t know if the dog is hearing the tone. To me it’s a very major issue that should be corrected. – Bill Terry, Amazon, 6/3/2022
A good product in stopping a dog from getting out of my property, it really does what what you say it will do, and your customer service is excellent. However, I cannot give it a 5 star review for the following reason. The surge protector is useless, the prongs just will not hold the wires in place, they fall out with ridiculous ease. There are reviews on Amazon that mention this, and I do not understand why you cannot correct this problem. – Anthony Steventon, Extreme Dog Fence, 11/10/2020
All in all, the Extreme Dog Fence is a good product that should keep your dog safe. It’s easy to use, safe and comfortable for your dog, and comes with some nice perks, such as:
- multiple frequency levels, and
- programmable correction for individual dogs in a multi-dog household.
A couple of minor drawbacks include no battery backup as well as no option for rechargeable batteries. There are also several Extreme Dog Fence products to choose from if the Pro Grade System isn’t the right one for your dog, your yard, or your budget.
Do you need to know how to measure your dog to see what size collar he should be wearing? Check out our Dog Collar Size Chart. If a harness is more your dog’s style, especially if he’s an energetic breed, you might be interested in The Best Husky Harnesses.
Looking for more information about dog fences? We have a library of in-depth information about various aspects of dog fences. Including tips and ideas for keeping your dog from jumping and building your own dog fence:
- 90+ creative and inexpensive dog fence ideas
- DIY dog fence ideas to build your own dog fence
- How to keep a dog from jumping a fence (or climbing a fence)
- How to keep a dog from digging under a fence
- How tall should a dog fence be?
As well as in-depth reviews of each category of dog fence (with recommendations generated by licensed veterinarians):
- The best dog fences (overall)
- The best in ground dog fences
- The best portable dog fences
- The best GPS dog fences
- The best invisible dog fences
- The best wireless dog fences
- The Best Outdoor Dog Fences
And in-depth product reviews of some of the leading dog fence brands: