If you’re the owner of a long-haired cat or a dog, you’ve probably searched high and low for a grooming tool that can effectively remove loose hair and minimize the amount of fur shed around the home. The DakPets De-shedding Tool promises to do just that, but does it live up to the hype? We consulted with our veterinary expert and compared it to the competition to find the answer.
The DakPets De-shedding Tool – Does it Pass the Test?
If you’re looking for a solid tool that can remove loose fur and reduce shedding, then the DakPets De-shedding Tool might just be the right option for you. The general consensus from users is that it removes more hair from their pets than any other brushes and combs they’ve tried, it’s easy to clean and the ergonomic handle helps to ensure your comfort too.
Our Score for the DakPets De-shedding Tool
In This Article
About the DakPets De-shedding Tool
The DakPets De-shedding Tool is specifically designed to remove loose hair from dog and cat coats, which can result in as much as 95% less shedding. It works well on cats and dogs of all sizes with medium-length to long coats.
The comb part is gentle on the skin and easy to remove and clean. The added bonus of it being removable is that you can replace it if it wears out. That said, it’s made from durable stainless steel, so it’s unlikely to break any time soon. The body of the tool is made from rugged plastic and feels solid in the hand.
The rubber non-slip handle is comfortable to hold, so you won’t have to struggle through long grooming sessions. While you can find cheaper de-shedding tools, this one is still reasonably priced and cheaper than similar versions from big brands.
- Durable design
- Removable comb for easy cleaning
- Non-slip handle
- Reduces shedding by up to 95%
- Works with double and single coats
What We Like
You’ll find many great features of the DakPets De-shedding Tool.
- Detachable comb. Thanks to the detachable comb, it’s easy to keep this tool clean. If it gets mucky from grease and dander, you can just take it off, clean it, and replace it. You can also buy spares if the original comb breaks.
- Ergonomic handle. The lightly rubberized non-slip handle has an ergonomic design that’s comfortable to hold over long periods. It also reduces the risk of the brush sliding through your hand and digging into your pet’s skin.
- Effectively removes hair. According to DakPets, this tool removes so much hair that it can reduce shedding by 95%. That’s significantly less hair to find all over your couch or on your pet’s favorite rug.
- Great for most dogs and cats. This tool works for all long- and medium-coated dogs and cats. It’s sized just right that it’s not excessively large for cats, nor too small for big dogs.
What We Don’t Like
No grooming tools are perfect, so you should look at the downsides of the DakPets De-shedding Tool before you decide if it’s right for you.
- May need to be angled in a particular way to work most effectively. Some users said they had to angle the tool in an uncomfortable position to get it to work the way it should. However, others didn’t have this issue, so it may depend on the pet and how they’re positioned.
- Not as effective as pricier products. Many customers who have used this tool and a similar, more expensive product say that, while the DakPets tool is good, it isn’t quite as effective as the pricier alternative.
- Mixed results on undercoats. Although many pet owners say it works well on undercoats, some with pets who have exceptionally thick or dense undercoats didn’t think it worked as well as it could have done.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are de-shedding tools good for dogs?
If you have a medium- or long-coated dog who sheds significantly, then a de-shedding tool will be your new best friend. By removing loose hair before it falls out on its own, these tools can reduce the quantity of hair your dog sheds around the house by an impressive amount. DakPets claims its tool reduces shedding by as much as 95%.
How do professional groomers de-shed pets?
Professional groomers use a technique known as “the four Bs.” These Bs are brush, bathe, blow dry, and brush again. While you might not want to bathe your dog too regularly, using this method can be helpful at the height of shedding season. Even better if the first time you brush your dog during this technique, you use a deshedding tool.
How often should I use a de-shedding tool on my pet?
Ideally, you should use it two to three times a week for 10 to 20 minutes at a time. This will remove most of your pet’s loose hair without overdoing it.
What months do pets shed the most?
This varies between pets and between areas, due to natural temperature variations, but pets tend to do the most shedding in spring and in fall. In spring, they’re losing their winter coat in preparation for summer and in fall they’re losing their summer coat in preparation for winter.
You’ll find many positive reviews of the DakPets De-shedding Tool. Customers tend to love how much fur it removes from their pets. They’re impressed with how easy it is to use and how it doesn’t seem uncomfortable for pets; in fact, many of them love their grooming sessions with this tool.
“We’ve used a lot of different brushes on our Golden Retriever, but this is the FIRST one that has actually worked. It’s easy to hold, pulls a ton of fur out and Bailey stays very calm while I am brushing her. Within 15 minutes of brushing her the first time, I pulled out a pile of fur the size of a grapefruit. Seriously. It was huge! I ran out of time and had to stop…but didn’t want to! Please buy this brush – you won’t regret it.” – HCarver, Amazon, 6/11/22
“My cat sheds horribly. I can’t touch him without having a fistful of fur. I love my sweet cat so much but all the hair is driving me insane. I’ve used other deshedding brushes in the past, but they don’t work as well as this one. In one sitting I can get so much hair he will be good and shed-free for days. Be careful not to over groom your cats though. I only de-shed him once or twice a week. This product does what it is advertised to do.” – Macy, Amazon, 5/17/22
The DakPets De-shedding Tool has some negative reviews, most of which focus on its effectiveness compared to a pricier alternative. Some also state it isn’t the best tool for dense undercoats or that it can be uncomfortable to use.
“I ordered this to help my older (18-year-old) cat with fine fur remove some of her extra fur, in an attempt to prevent hairballs, since her fur was changing for the season… The only issue is that I can’t use it on her for very long at a time, and I have to hold it at a very particular angle which is not very ergonomic to get it to work so that it doesn’t just pull at her. Because of this, I’ve almost dropped it on her multiple times. Normally it wouldn’t be a big deal, but she gets easily spooked by things like that, so her trying to jump away while the de-shedder is still in/on her fur is not ideal. Other than that, it does do its job and seems to have helped with the hairball problem (when I remember to use it). Overall, I recommend it, as long as you actually read the instructions that come with it, as it tells you about the angle and the proper way to use the brush.” – Christie, Amazon, 4/28/19
If you own a dog or cat who sheds moderately to heavily, you’ll thank yourself for buying the DakPets De-shedding Tool. While some don’t find it as effective as higher-priced alternatives, it still does an impressive job of removing loose fur and reducing shedding, as long as you use it regularly and as instructed. It’s affordably priced and surprisingly durable.
When it comes to grooming, you want a tool that works both effectively and comfortably. Fortunately, the DakPets De-shedding Tool achieves both these goals – and more:
- Effectively reduces shedding by up to 95%
- Ergonomic handle for comfortable use
- Detachable comb for easy cleaning
- Great for both cats and dogs
- Works well with both single and double layer coats
You can also see more brush and grooming tool recommendations by taking a look at the best brushes for Australian shepherds.