Dog sofas and couches are beds for dogs that look like mini couches. They’re ideal if you want a dog bed that will look stylish in a main living area or if your dog prefers to sleep on slightly elevated beds.
These products have been selected by our vet advisor, Dr. Amanda Jondle. Her top choice is the Keet Westerhill Pet Sofa Bed due to its range of sizes and comfortable memory foam cushion. Read how she chose the top 5.
While this was Dr. Jondle’s top choice, she also offers a series of her top tips for what to look for in choosing the best dog couch and sofa beds, a section on who should avoid purchasing them altogether, and she personally selected the best pick for a variety of specific use cases.
The 5 Best Dog Couch Beds (or Dog Sofa Beds)
- Best Overall – Keet Westerhill Pet Sofa Bed
- Best Budget – Enchanted Home Pet Ultra Plush Snuggle Pet Bed
- Best for Large Dogs – Moots Premium Leatherette Pet Sofa
- Best for Small Dogs – Enchanted Home Pet Sailor Sofa
- Best Outdoor – Pastrana Rattan Dog Sofa
Couch / Sofa Beds Compared
|Keet Westerhill Pet Sofa Bed
|Small to large
|Best Budget Buy
|Enchanted Home Pet Ultra Plush Snuggle Pet Bed
|Best Extra-Large Dog Couch
|Moots Premium Leatherette Pet Sofa
|Medium to extra-large
|Best Small Dog Couch
|Enchanted Home Pet Sailor Sofa
|Best Outdoor Dog Sofa
|Pastrana Rattan Dog Sofa
*Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 5 and based on reviews, feedback, and opinions of actual customers
In This Article
Who Should Buy a Dog Sofa Bed or Couch
- Style-conscious dog owners – Dog couches and sofa-style dog beds tend to be more stylish than standard dog beds, which is ideal if you want a bed for your dog to go in a high-traffic part of the house.
- People who want to keep their dog off the couch – Trying to keep your dog off your the human couch? You might be able to tempt them onto their own dog sofa.
- New dog owners – If you’re bringing home a dog, they’ll need a comfortable bed to lounge on.
Who Should Not Buy a Dog Couch or Sofa Bed
- Owners of old dogs – As they’re slightly raised off the ground, old dogs with arthritis or mobility issues may struggle to get on and off them.1
- Pet parents looking for a budget dog bed – Dog couches and sofa beds are more expensive than standard dog beds of comparable quality, so they aren’t the best budget option.
If a dog couch bed isn’t for you, you may want to check out one of our other guides to find the right bed for your dogs, such as our guide to buying the best waterproof dog bed, our outdoor dog bed buying guide, or our guide to selecting the best elevated dog bed.
Buying Guide: Research Tips From a Veterinarian
As a veterinarian, I’m often asked how to choose the best pet products. Here are some tips and pieces of advice to consider when buying a dog couch or sofa bed. Always do your research on the product you’re considering buying and look at the features it offers.
- Choose a comfortable dog couch. Look for options that have thick padding with a snuggly, soft cushion – even better if the cushion is made from memory foam.
- Consider ease of cleaning. Ideally, the outer cover or the whole cushion should be machine washable and easy to clean.
- Pick an option that’s good for a variety of dog sizes. If you have more than one dog, buy a bed that will fit the biggest of them, then the smaller dogs and the largest dogs will fit on it.
- Don’t be afraid to think about style. Of course, your dog’s comfort is the most important factor, but it’s fine to pick something that looks good in the home too.
- Look for waterproof options. While it isn’t essential, dog couches with a waterproof layer prevent the cushion from getting ruined if your dog has an accident.2
If you’re looking for other sleeping options for your canine companion, you may want to consider dog beds with waterproof properties.
How Much Do They Cost?
Between $80 and $300
Dog sofa beds and couches can cost anywhere between $80 and $300. While you can find some excellent options for less than $150, expect to pay $150 to $300 for the biggest and most luxurious options.
Our Methodology: Why Trust Pet News Daily
As a veterinarian, I’m well-versed in all things dog-related and have spoken to many pet owners and my colleagues in the veterinary industry about dog beds, including dog couches and sofa beds. Based on my professional experience, I know how important it is that your dog has a comfortable and supportive place to sleep. For the sake of the buyer, a dog couch should offer good value for money and be easy to clean. I’ve chosen my recommended products accordingly. – Dr. Amanda Jondle
The Best Dog Sofa Beds and Couch Reviews
1. Best Overall – Keet Westerhill Pet Sofa Bed
The Keet Westerhill Pet Sofa Bed is a versatile choice that comes in small, medium, and large sizes and can fit a variety of dog sizes. It has short wooden legs to raise it off the ground slightly and comes in a choice of two colors. The cushion is made of memory foam, which is great for comfort and support, especially in older dogs.
It’s a durable choice thanks to the sturdy wooden frame. The cushion cover is washable, so it’s easy to clean, which is always important with pets. It also includes two matching pillows that some dogs like to snuggle up with.
- The memory foam cushion offers support and comfort for more restful sleep
- It looks stylish with piping to match the cushion color
- The fabric is extremely soft and cozy
- The pillows aren’t completely essential and can end up getting in the way
- The sizes run slightly small so you may need to size up
2. Best Budget – Enchanted Home Pet Ultra Plush Snuggle Pet Bed
If you have a toy or small breed dog, up to around 10 pounds, the Enchanted Home Pet Ultra Plush Snuggle Pet Bed offers incredible value for money. Although it’s reasonably priced, it’s durably constructed with a solid wood frame. It looks attractive and has curved raised edges that are perfect for dogs who like to cuddle up in bed.
The cover is removable and washable and it features a toy pocket, which is a nice touch for pets who are always leaving their toys around the house.
- You can remove and machine wash the cushion cover
- This is an attractive dog couch that won’t look out of place in a stylish room
- It has legs to raise it slightly off the floor
- It’s only suitable for small dogs
- Some pet parents find the cushion a little firm
3. Best Extra-Large – Moots Premium Leatherette Pet Sofa
Although it’s available in three sizes, the extra-large version of the Moots Premium Leatherette Pet Sofa is one of the biggest options on the market. It measures a whopping 40 by 42 inches, though the sleeping surface is a little smaller when you factor in the size of the back and arms.
The cushion contains shredded memory foam, which is comfortable and provides joint support, something that’s important for big dogs. The cover is washable for easy cleaning and has a waterproof liner to keep the cushion dry.
- Holds dogs up to 95 pounds
- Waterproof layer beneath the cushion cover protects the filling
- Contains comfortable, supportive memory foam
- The dog sofa is fairly pricey
- The listed measurements are for the full sofa, including the back and arms, so the sleeping surface is smaller
4. Best for Small Dogs – Enchanted Home Pet Sailor Sofa
The stylish Enchanted Home Pet Sailor Sofa features bolster pillows on each end and a raised back, making it ideal for a range of sleeping positions, whether your dog likes to stretch out, curl up or sleep with their head rested on a pillow. It’s a great choice for small dogs, giving them room to stretch out, but also finds some dogs on the smaller end of the medium range, up to a maximum of 30 pounds.
The material on the cushion and pillows is extremely soft and there’s a removable and washable cover on the cushion. A little pocket on the back of the sofa can hold toys for convenient access for your canine companion.
- Ideal for smaller dogs, up to a maximum of 30 pounds
- The cushion has a machine washable cover
- The faux leather material on the frame is easy to wipe clean
- Could be more durable
- Although it can fit dogs up to 30 pounds, it’s better suited to smaller breeds
5. Best Outdoor – Pastrana Rattan Dog Sofa
A stunning outdoor dog sofa with a weather resistant frame.
Made from faux rattan material, the Pastrana Rattan Dog Sofa is suited for outdoor use. The frame is UV resistant and won’t be damaged by rain or frost, but the cushion will get damaged by the elements so it’s best to take that inside when the bed isn’t in use. Although great for outdoor use, it’s stylish enough that it could be used indoors too.
It comes in one size that holds dogs of up to 80 pounds, so it’s suitable for a range of breeds. The cushion has a washable cover and a soft, comfortable filling.
- Suitable for all dogs up to 80 pounds
- The rattan material is weather-resistant
- Comfortable cushion with a machine washable cover
- The fact that the cushion isn’t waterproof is somewhat frustrating
- Slightly smaller than expected so large dogs may feel cramped
Frequently Asked Questions
Pet News Daily uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial process to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
- Anderson KL, Zulch H, O’Neill DG, Meeson RL, Collins LM. Risk Factors for Canine Osteoarthritis and Its Predisposing Arthropathies: A Systematic Review. Front Vet Sci. 2020;7:220. Published 2020 Apr 28. doi:10.3389/fvets.2020.00220
- Jergler D. What you need to know about urinary incontinence in dogs. Veterinarypracticenews.com. Published June 9, 2016. Accessed January 3, 2022.
- Vetericyn. How to Help Mobility in Senior Dogs. Vetericyn.com. Published January 7, 2020. Accessed January 3, 2022.