Elevated dog beds are great for managing orthopedic problems and improving your pet’s overall comfort. They can be ideal for dogs with hip and joint issues and help keep your furry friend cool and comfortable during the warm summer months.
Of course, if your pet already has issues sleeping comfortably you don’t want to pick the wrong bed for your furry friend.
Fortunately our vet advisor, Dr. Jennifer Coates, DVM, reviewed dozens of elevated dog beds to find the best of the best.
What’s the Best Elevated Dog Bed?
After careful research, she chose the K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot Elevated Dog Bed as her pick of the bunch. With over 12,000 overwhelmingly positive ratings on Amazon, this functional raised dog bed is trusted by dog owners everywhere. Standout features of the sturdy bed include a lightweight metal frame, breathable mesh center, and removable, machine washable cover. Read how she chose the top 5.
Our Vet’s Top 5 Elevated Dog Beds
Here are the top picks from our veterinarian. Compare the ratings and features of different models.
|Editor’s Picks||Brand||Rating||Frame Material||Removable Cover?||Non-slip feet?|
|Best Overall||K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot Elevated Dog Bed||Alloy Steel|
|Best Budget Buy||Amazon Basics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed||Iron|
|Best Elevated Dog Bed With Canopy||Best Choice Products Elevated Cooling Dog Bed||Alloy Steel|
|Best Folding or Portable Elevated Dog Bed||KingCamp Elevated Dog Bed||Alloy Steel|
|Best Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed||Veehoo Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed||Aluminum|
*Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 5 and based on reviews, feedback, and opinions of actual customers
In This Article
Who Should Buy an Elevated Dog Bed
- Pet owners with dogs that suffer from joint issues – Thanks to their raised structure, elevated dog beds can make it easier for dogs to get in and out and sleep more comfortably.
- Anyone who wants to keep their dog cool in warm weather – Raised dog beds help keep dogs cooler by providing airflow underneath them. If your pup tends to overheat, an elevated bed can make a big difference.1
- Pet owners who are looking for an easy-to-clean dog bed – Elevated dog beds are great because they’re so easy to clean. The raised structure keeps the bed off the floor, which helps to prevent dirt buildup. Most elevated dog beds can also be easily hosed down, making clean-up a breeze.
Who Should Not Buy an Elevated Dog Bed
- Pet owners that live in cold climates – Elevated dog beds work best in warm weather because they can help dogs stay cool. If you live in a cold climate, an elevated bed may not be the best option for your pup.
- Anyone who’s happy with their dog’s current sleeping arrangements – If your dog is comfortable and happy sleeping on the floor or in a traditional bed, there’s no need to buy a raised dog bed. Elevated beds are not necessary for all dogs, just those with specific needs.
If an elevated dog bed isn’t for you, you may want to check out one of our other guides to find the right bed for your dog, such as our guide to buying the best waterproof dog bed, our outdoor dog bed buying guide, or our guide to selecting the best dog couch bed.
Research Tips (from a Veterinarian)
As a veterinarian, I often get asked how to choose a good elevated dog bed. Here are some tips and best practices to consider when purchasing a raised dog bed that will suit your dog’s individual needs. Be sure to do adequate research on the product you’re considering purchasing to look for key features and talk to friends and family who are dog owners to learn what types of elevated dog beds have worked well for them.
Your veterinarian can point to any features that might be ideal based on your dog’s age, breed, size, and health status. It’s also important to read product descriptions closely to avoid unpleasant surprises. Looking at customer reviews posted on trusted sources can give you an idea of how satisfied pet owners are with their purchase.
- Choose an elevated dog bed that’s appropriate for your dog’s size and weight – check the manufacturer’s product information before making a purchase. Elevated dog beds need to be sturdy enough to support your dog’s weight without collapsing but still easy to get in and out of. Your pup should also be able to lie down comfortably without feeling like they’re going to roll off of the bed.
- Select a mesh bed if you want to keep your dog cool – mesh beds are ideal for keeping dogs cool. If you place a dog bed or mat on top, make sure it has a non-slip backing and, ideally, can be affixed directly to the bed to prevent it (and your dog) from sliding off.
- Consider a raised bed with a canopy if you plan to use it outside – a canopy can help block direct sunlight and keep your dog cool. It’s also a good idea to place the bed in a shady area to provide extra protection.
- Non-slip feet are a useful feature – rubber feet can help prevent the bed from sliding around or marring your floors.
How Much Do They Cost?
Between $20 and $100
For most elevated dog beds, you can expect to pay between $20-$100 and still get a high-quality product. The price you’ll pay will depend on several factors, including the materials used, the size of the bed, and the overall design. Raised dog beds at the lower end of this price range will have a basic design, while those at the upper end will have premium materials and additional features.
Our Methodology: Why Trust Pet News Daily
I’ve evaluated these elevated dog beds based on my professional experience as a veterinarian combined with product feature considerations. I judged the elevated dog beds on a variety of criteria, including the materials used, the functionality of the design, customer feedback, and affordability, as well as how safe and easy to use they would be for dogs. – Dr. Jennifer Coates, DVM
The Best Elevated Dog Beds: Full Reviews
The K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot Elevated Dog Bed is fully customizable and has a range of great features, making it an unbeatable choice for any pet owner who’s looking for a versatile, high-quality raised dog bed. The bed is breathable for hot weather but has the option to add a microfleece pad that has elastic straps to hold it in place (sold separately or in combination with the bed). You can also purchase a self-warming bed cover (sold separately) for colder weather. In addition, a canopy is available and can be bought in combination with the bed or separately.
Other key features of this well-designed elevated dog bed include anti-scratch rubber feet that protect your floors and stop the bed from sliding around, and a removable cover that can be machine washed or even hosed down outside. The raised dog bed is available in 4 sizes and multiple colors. Overall, it’s a well-priced, adaptable bed that will suit even the pickiest of pups.
- Versatile and well-built
- Great for hot or cold weather
- Removable, machine washable cover
- Accessories and replacement parts available
- Some reviewers report that the bed rusts if left outside
- Not durable enough to be completely chew proof
If you’re looking for a basic elevated dog bed on a budget, check out the Amazon Basics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed. The affordable bed features a lightweight metal frame and a breathable mesh surface that keeps your pet cool by allowing air to circulate freely.
The raised dog bed is available in a range of sizes and colors, so you’re sure to find the perfect option for your pup. It’s also easy to assemble, and a handy instructional video is available online. Reviewers say the dog bed is durable, easy to clean, and great value for money.
- Functional and inexpensive
- Easy to assemble
- Range of sizes and colors available
- Does not have non-slip feet
- Not ideal for cold weather
The Best Choice Products Elevated Cooling Dog Bed is a durable, weather-resistant raised dog bed that features a removable canopy to shield your pet from the sun. The dog bed raises your pet 8 inches off the ground to promote good airflow, disperse heat, and prevent odor buildup.
This elevated dog bed is ideal for both indoor and outdoor use. It features non-slip rubber foot caps to protect your floors and can be assembled in minutes. The bed comes complete with a storage bag for easy transport and travel. Choose from 3 sizes and 2 colors to find the perfect fit for both you and your dog.
- Removable canopy for shade when using outdoors
- Rubber foot caps protect your floors
- Breathable for hot weather
- Available in 3 sizes and 2 colors
- No removable cover
- Canopy is low for large dogs
The KingCamp Elevated Dog Bed is the perfect choice for any pet owner who’s looking for a truly portable elevated dog bed that can be folded up and easily stored when not in use. It’s breathable for hot weather but comes with a nonslip, attachable sleeping mat for comfort in cooler weather.
The practical raised dog bed includes a carrying bag and is available in 3 sizes to fit most dogs. The elevated design helps keep your pet cool and comfortable, and the bed is easy to clean – just throw the removable sleeping mat in the washing machine and wipe the bed down with a damp cloth.
- Portable design is ideal for camping or travel
- Can be folded up easily when not in use
- Removable sleeping mat
- Not as sturdy as non-folding beds
- Only available in black
If your dog has an annoying habit of chewing through their bed, the Veehoo Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed could be the answer to your problems. The durable bed features a tough reinforced aluminum alloy frame and a breathable, scratch-resistant cover. All edges are inserted into and completely covered by the frame to protect against chewing and digging.
Other standout features of this chew proof elevated dog bed include large rubber feet to protect your floors and an airy, off-the-ground design. The bed is easy to assemble and can be disassembled quickly for storage. Reviewers say this raised dog bed is a great option for large and powerful dog breeds.
- Reinforced aluminum alloy frame
- Large rubber feet to protect floors
- Breathable, scratch-resistant cover
- Available in 4 sizes and several colors
- Not machine washable
- A handful of reviewers mention quality control issues
Frequently Asked Questions
Beyond that, if you’re looking for additional products to help keep your puppy healthy and happy, we also have a series of buying guides to help you select the best vet recommended dog ear cleaner, the dog grooming cutters, the best dog shears for poodle hair, the best hair dryer for dogs, and our guide to finding the brushes for Australian Shepherds.
Pet News Daily uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial process to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
- Your Guide to Dog Beds. Pets.webmd.com. Published December 12, 2019. Accessed December 3, 2021.
- Fitzsimmons P. How to Pick Out Large Dog Beds for Giant Dog Breeds. Petmd.com. Published September 7, 2018. Accessed December 3, 2021.